Do you get intimidated at the thought of cooking leg of lamb? Then you’ll love these Masala Lamb Bowls. No long marination time or monitoring required! Simply slather on the marinade and pop it into your slow cooker. The result is juicy, succulent lamb that is so easy to make, you can make it in your sleep!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- It’s hands off. That means no excessive attention is required to get juicy pulled lamb at the end. Simply put in the slow cooker and let cook in its own juices for 5-6 hours (perfect for leaving to slow cook while out to work or running errands)
- It doesn’t require marination. Unlike many lamb roast recipes out there, this recipe works because the marination happens while it cooks low and slow!
- It is perfect to batch cook. You can use the left overs for a future meal.
- Freezer friendly. Details below.
- It is naturally compliant with many diet protocols such as the Ketogenic diet, Paleo diet and the Whole30 protocol.
Leg of Lamb: I get the boneless leg of lamb from Costco. It usually weighs somewhere between 4-5 pounds. If you don’t get lamb or don’t care for the flavor, simply get goat leg or raan as it is called in Urdu.
For the marinade:
Ginger/garlic: Minced or whole. They will be processed with all the ingredients to form the marinade.
Green chilies: Serrano or jalapeño.
Seasoning: salt, pepper and this roasted cumin-coriander masala
Yogurt: Full fat Greek.
Grain of choice
Vegetables of choice
How to make slow cooked lamb roast
Step 1: Make the marinade
Add all the ingredients except for the lamb in a food processor or blender and process till smooth. Set aside.
Step 2: Prep the lamb’s leg
The boneless lamb I get is wrapped in butcher’s twine. I like to take it off before cooking it but you can leave it on if you want to keep it together. I like to shred the meat any ways so prefer to cook it this way. However, if you want to present it at a fancy dinner, leave it on so it cooks in one compact piece and then take it off after.
Pat dry the meat and prick with a fork all over so as to get the marinade to soak in. Slather with the marinade and place inside the slow cooker.
Step 3: Slow cook
My slow cooker takes about 5-6 hours to cook the lamb on the highest setting. I use The Crockpot (affiliate link) 7 quart slow cooker. This method saves on time as it cooks slow ensuring the meat turns out moist. You can roast it on the stove top and in the oven as well if you wish but I prefer the slow cooker for the reasons listed above.
Step 4: Assemble the bowls
The options are really endless once you have the lamb ready.
- One option for the lamb bowls is with some daal, white rice and kachumbar.
- For a Keto/Paleo/Whole30 version, assembe the bowl with some cauliflower rice and roasted vegetables.
- In the picture below I served the lamb with some pickled red onions, a wedge of lettuce and sliced cucumbers.
It is recommended to cook lamb till an internal temperature of 145 degrees is achieved.
Not necessarily. Searing will give a brown crusting but it will add to the steps in this recipe.
Yes, it may take a little longer to cook but you can definitely use bone in lamb.
Absolutely. Goat is more widely available in South Asia whereas lamb is more prevalent in the US.
Absolutely. The temperatures and time will vary.
If you like this, you’ve got to try these:
If you try this recipe, I’d appreciate it so much if you would rate it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️! And let me know in the comments how it worked out for you. I love hearing feedback and the recipe rating helps others find this recipe!
Masala Lamb Bowls
- 1 Slow Cooker 7 quart
- 1 Boneless leg of lamb about 5 pounds
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 Serrano peppers
- 3 cups cilantro packed
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 teaspoons roasted cumin-coriander masala
- Add all the ingredients except for the lamb in a food processor or blender and process till smooth. Set aside.
Prep the lamb
- Pat dry the leg of lamb and prick with a fork all over so as to get the marinade to soak in. Slather with the marinade and place inside the slow cooker.
- Cook for at least 5 hours till the lamb is cooked through with internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Shred the lamb with fork and serve with your grain or vegetables of choice.
- If you want to dry out the water completely from the lamb, you will have to finish it off on stove top on high heat.