I have been wanting to make something that would give me the satisfaction of methai (a popular South Asian dessert/sweet meat made with milk and sugar) yet without the dairy and refined sugar. Enter these Cardamom Date Balls. I made them for a Ramadan feature I did on Mashion’s Instagram account and it was so much fun!
I have experimented with other nuts and seeds in the past like walnuts and pumpkin seeds but the texture I got with cashews is so much smoother and creamier. Cashews also lend a much more neutral palette so that the flavor of the cardamom and rose water shines through.
They are so so good and I got my in house critic, my husband Ali to give it his seal of approval and call it blog worthy before posting it on here. I hope you try it and if you do, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @eatdrinkpure
More easy snack recipes
Cardamom Date Balls
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 5 plump dates pitted I use Medjool
- Seeds of 2 cardamoms skinned or ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon rose water
- Crush cardamoms in a mortar and pestle or alternatively use cardamom powder.
- Put cashews in a food processor and blitz till you get a grainy texture.
- Add the crushed cardamoms / cardamom powder, dates and rose water and blitz some more till fully incorporated.
- Take out into a bowl and form into small ping pong sized balls.
- Place on a platter and garnish with rose petals ( totally optional but really amps up the presentation)