My watermelon juice is a great alternative to the age old favorite, Rooh Afza. I grew up consuming Rooh Afza but now that there is more awareness we know how the ingredients are a dangerous cocktail of disease causing agents.
Not only is Rooh Afza full of sugar but contains Red 40. Red 40 has been linked to hyperactivity and sleep disturbances in children. It is derived from petroleum which is considered to be a carcinogen (cancer causing agent).
What’s in this watermelon juice
In my watermelon juice recipe I used just 4 ingredients:
- Beet powder to add the red color that is signature to Rooh Afza without the harmful effects. In fact, beet root has been known to be good for the heart, It lowers cholesterol, prevents cancer and provides B-vitamin folate which is great for pregnant women as it helps the development of the baby’s brain and spinal cord.
- Rose water
How to make this juice
Take a small watermelon and scoop out the flesh into a blender. Add the rest the ingredients and blend till fully incorporated. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and enjoy over ice.
Here are more refreshing drinks to try
If you try this recipe or any other Eat.Drink.Pure recipe, don’t forget to rate it! And let me know in the comments how it worked out for you. If you are on social media, share your pics with me on Instagram by tagging me @eatdrinkpure so I can see and repost it on my stories!
- 1 small seedless watermelon about 1 pound
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 teaspoon beet powder optional
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- Cut watermelon in half
- Scoop out flesh into blender
- Add lime juice, beet powder and rose water
- Blend the ingredients till fully incorporated
- Strain over a large bowl and then pour into separate glasses over ice and enjoy
- In the summer months watermelon is in season and sweet enough to omit sugar but if your family likes it sweeter just add simple syrup to taste.
- If you and your family prefer a pulp free juice, just pass the juice through a fine mesh strainer and enjoy over ice.
- The beet powder is optional for color although the nutrients from it will add nutrient density to this juice.