Mint lemonade has to be the official drink of the Middle East. Just like LEMONADE is the official beverage of summer in the United States. In Pakistan, the country of my birth, it is often referred to as SHIKANJBEEN or even simply as LEEMBOO PANI.
I am late to the party and It wasn’t until I arrived in the Middle East, more specifically, Saudi Arabia, that I saw the addition of mint in the mix. Mint lemonade was every where. From the prepackaged sugary variety at grocery stores to freshly squeezed versions at high end restaurants, it was the beverage of choice for the Saudi population.
Why you’ll love this mint lemonade recipe
The pairing of lemon and mint is so refreshing and gives one great benefits.
What’s good to know is that just one lemon provides 51% of your daily recommendation of vitamin C. Other amazing health benefits are:
- protects against heart disease;
- prevents kidney stones;
- reduces the risk of cancer;
- improves digestive health.
Mint is full of antioxidants such as perillyl alcohol and rosmarinic acid as well as trace minerals and vitamins such as iron, vitamin A and potassium.
How to make Mint Lemonade
Begin by making the simple syrup. You can also skip the sugar and use Stevia leaves or powder as well.
- To make the simple syrup, all you have to do is take equal parts sugar to water and stir to dissolve the sugar on stove top. Let the syrup cool before storing it in a glass bottle for future use.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and add to blender with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend till the mint has broken down and enjoy!
What you will need:
- Mint leaves
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Let me know down in the comments. I love to hear feedback from you!
Be sure to try my other healthy drink recipes!
- 3 lemons juiced or 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 C water
- 1/4-1/2 C simple syrup
- 3 sprigs mint
- Juice the lemons and add to blender along with the rest of the ingredients except ice.
- Blend till combined.
- Pour over ice and enjoy!
- I have kept a range for the simple syrup depending on how sweet you like your drinks. You can add as much or as little depending on your preference.
- Avoid using prepackaged lemon juice as using fresh ingredients gives the best results.