This recipe for sumac chicken has been a long time coming! I know life can get busy and most week days we just want to be able to throw together dinner, feed our families, clean up and get on with other activities. Well, this is where easy recipes like this chicken one comes in. It’s ready in about an hour and meal prep friendly too!
What’s in this Mediterranean inspired chicken dish?
Chicken is a great source of lean protein and I can safely say that it is my family’s favorite way of getting it in. However, with all the tainting of the livestock that is rampant nowadays, make sure you check to see the source of your poultry. We like to buy Crescent Foods chicken when we can. It is available at most Walmart stores.
This recipe calls for the chicken to have the skin on so that it gives it that crispy rotisserie look and taste but I have made it with skinless boneless chicken thighs and breasts and they all work well. Of course chicken thighs will have a juicier result!
Add hearty vegetables
Broccoli has so many health benefits due to its nutritional profile that I am planning to have it as a regular part of our diet. Broccoli is high in nutrients such as vitamins K and C, chromium and folate. It is also a great source of Omega 3. Omega 3 helps the body fight inflammation and so makes broccoli of special interest in cancer research.
I like to mix up the vegetables according to season but it’s usually a medley of three.
Try this recipe today, I am sure your family will love it as much as mine does! Let me know here how it turned out and which veggies you used.
- 1 whole chicken, skin on
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons za'atar
- 2 tablespoons sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- For the vegetables
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced / garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon zaatar
- 2 teaspoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- Prepare the marinade. Melt the butter on the stove top. Take off of the heat and in the sauce pan add za'atar, sumac, salt, lemon and garlic.
- Apply the marinade over the chicken and let it marinate for at least 2 hours to over night.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F / 218 degrees C.
- Bake for 35 mins or until the chicken is golden brown in color and the temperature 165 degrees on a food thermometer.
- If you want crispy skin, make sure to add a rack on the pan or roaster so the chicken can roast all around and doesn't sit in its juices.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the vegetables.
- Add the oil and seasonings mentioned above to the vegetables.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Once both the chicken and veggies are ready, slice the chicken and add the vegetables to a plate or bowl along with your carb of choice ( I like brown rice) and enjoy!
- You can use other parts of chicken like breast or tenders and even boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- This chicken recipe is my version of rotisserie chicken found in grocery stores.