- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced or 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 small - medium sized tomato chopped
- 1 medium green chili pepper chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 6 ounce bag Mexican style shredded cheese
- 12 -16 flour or gluten free tortillas
- In a saucepan put chicken pieces and enough water to cover the meat.
- Add salt, red chili powder and garlic.
- Boil for about 30 minutes on medium low heat.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, take it out and give it a rough chop. Let the leftover water in the saucepan dry till you have just the spice residue but be careful that it doesn’t burn.
- While the water is drying, chop the vegetables and have them ready to add to the saucepan.
- Once the water has dried, add the chopped onions first. Let them turn translucent and the water from the onions dry before adding the rest of the veggies and the chicken.
- Mix to combine and let cool.
- Once thoroughly cooled, add the cheese. Now you have a mixture that you can start assembling the quesadillas with or store for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container. You can also freeze it for up to a month.
- Lay your tortillas in an assembly line fashion and start putting about 1 - 1 ½ tablespoons onto each tortilla.
- Fold into half and press down to ensure the mixture is evenly spread out.
- Put a large skillet over medium high heat and once hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan.
- Put 2-3 quesadillas ( depending on how big they are) on the pan and let brown on one side for about 30 seconds, before flipping and browning the other side. Drain on a wire rack or paper towel lined plate.
- Enjoy on its own or with salsa and guacamole.
- These quesadillas are meal prep friendly and can be frozen for up to a month in the freezer.
- You can make these quesadillas with any protein of choice. Beef will require more time and shrimps can be sautéed or pan fried and added to the chopped vegetables.
- These quesadillas are great for lunch boxes