I have been trying to perfect a recipe for homemade granola for a while now. My biggest goal with this recipe was to wean my kids off of boxed, sugar laden cereal. I am so happy to have come to this granola recipe. It is homemade so I get to control the sugar!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED FOR HOMEMADE GRANOLA
- Rolled Oats– This will give you a chunkier granola. To keep it gluten free make sure to get the gluten free variety as most oats are processed in a facility with wheat which can lead to cross contamination.
- Nuts– I used almonds in this recipe but have also used pecans and walnuts in the past.
- Seeds– Pumpkin, sunflower and flax seeds work here as well. I have used chia seeds here.
- Fat– I used coconut oil to keep it vegan in this recipe but you can use butter as well.
- Spices– Cinnamon is a great anti inflammatory spice and brings sweet notes to the recipe. My son’s favorite cereal, Cinnamon Toast Crunch was the inspiration to this addition. I wanted to give him an appropriate swap for the processed cereal.
- Sweetener– I used honey but maple syrup can be used as well,
- Mix ins– Use chocolate chips, cranberries or even coconut flakes as I have done in this recipe.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups rolled oats use gluten free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut flakes optional
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Give the almonds and cashews a rough chop and add to a large bowl.
- Add the other dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- In another small bowl add all the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.
- Lay evenly on a large parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes checking on it midway and stirring for even browning.
- Take out of oven and cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- You can use butter instead of coconut oil.
- Use refined coconut oil to prevent the coconut aftertaste.
- Add any mix ins like cranberries and chocolate chips after the granola has cooled completely.
- Swap out with any other nuts and seeds of choice like pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds etc.
More breakfast recipes: