I can’t tell you how excited I am to finally get my hands on this book! When I first started eating healthy I remember drinking one green smoothie or juice a day. Along with the other lifestyle changes I made I have no doubt that this manner of eating or rather drinking my fruits and vegetables aided in my recovery.
I first came across The Simple Green Smoothies duo, Jen and Jadah while listening to a podcast featuring their fascinating story. Intrigued, I started following them on Instagram. When I learnt that they had a book out, I knew I had to have it.
Although I had been meaning to buy it, it was pure luck that on my last trip to my local library I came across a copy. So timely too. I have been struggling to incorporate vegetables in my children’s diets. Apart from some cucumbers at dinner and in their lunch boxes, I am afraid, there’s been little progress. Enter Simple Green Smoothies. With their colorful, luscious recipes and a whole chapter on kid friendly smoothies (The Happy Monkey) a smoothified Nutella concoction, I had my most stubborn family member on board. My 7 year old, Sami. Sami incidentally has been sick one time too many this season and I was beyond happy that he agreed to dive into the green smoothie challenge with me!
So why drink the greens anyway?
Well, as Jen and Jadah tell us, drinking your greens leads to increased energy, glowing skin, a strengthened immune system, regular bowl movements, sharper clarity and focus and…..wait for it…..weight loss!
As if I needed any more convincing to get started! But then I wasn’t the one who needed convincing. I guess my excitement was infectious and Sami decided to give it a try.
what i love about the book is….
- that it has a 10 day kick start guide complete with shopping list;
- that it has countless recipes to keep you going there after;
- that there are smoothie recipes for the beginner (more fruit) and those for the more advanced (more vegetables);
- that they talk about the nut butters, seeds and healthy fats to up your smoothie game;
- that they have resources for where to find supplies. From the fruits and veggies to the straws and cups;
- that they keep it real. Eating healthy isn’t cheap but there are ways to do it without breaking the bank.
what you need to be aware of….
- This book is a gentle transition for the beginner into the full blown smoothie lifestyle and so you will find the recipes contain about 60% fruit. This may be a problem for some but considering that I was trying to instill healthy green eating habits in my kids, I was grateful for recipes that toned down the “greeness” and made it more enjoyable for them to guzzle down.
my final takeaway
I would describe this cookbook as a one stop shop for everything smoothies and recommend it for anyone who wants to explore this lifestyle. It is definitely worth the money.
Have you jumped on the smoothie bandwagon yet? If not, do consider it, I promise you won’t be sorry you did! And if and when you do, go out and buy this book. Simple Green Smoothies by Jen Hansard and Jadah Sellner.