This chocolate nice cream will hit the spot when it comes to your sweet cravings. When I saw this recipe for this healthier “nice cream” doing the rounds in health circles, I knew I had to give it a try. I don’t know about you all but I am often left with rotting bananas. Unless I peel and hand the boys this fruit, they will never reach for one on their own.
This dessert is non dairy yet the texture and look is just the same. Add good quality cocoa and you have a healthy dessert or after school snack! Unlike regular ice cream which is loaded with sugar, the only sweetness in this one is the fruit itself- Perfect!
WHY BANANAS WORK IN THIS NICE CREAM
- Bananas are loaded with potassium and magnesium. These minerals are what is needed by the body to lower blood cholesterol and protect it against heart attacks and strokes.(1,2)
- A study conducted by the Appalachian State University found that eating a banana would be better if not as beneficial as drinking a sports drink for athletes during intense cycling sessions(3).
- It is also a great source of energy for endurance athletes.(4) Ever noticed Maria Sharapova grabbing a banana during a tennis match? Well now you know why!
- Bananas are rich in fiber and resistant starch, which feeds the friendly gut bacteria.(5)
TRY THESE OTHER CHOCOLATE RECIPES
If you try this recipe please let me know your thoughts by leaving me a comment and rating. Tag me in your pics on Instagram @eatdrinkpure
Chocolate Nice Cream
- 7 bananas sliced into coins and frozen
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract non-alcoholic variety is hard to find. I finally found one at Whole Foods
- In a food processor put frozen banana coins
- Add cocoa and vanilla extract
- Process till smooth
- Freeze 3-4 hours
- Scoop out like regular ice-cream and enjoy!
- The riper the bananas, the sweeter the end result will be