Sweet potatoes and kimchi, a match made in foodie heaven! So how did I come up with this sweet potato and kimchi combination? Well, there’s a local burger joint near our place where you get these amazingly delicious kimchi fries. The serving is huge but I kid you not, I can finish them all on my own! They have the layers of flavor but the base of their dish is white potatoes. Now as you know, I’m all about healthy recipes so I figured hey, let’s try this recipe at home and with sweet potatoes!
So here we are! Sweet potatoes are the perfect base to this recipe with just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the heat from the kimchi and the savory fried egg, yum!
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO KIMCHI FRIES
When making sweet potato fries you want to make sure to cut the sweet potatoes evenly which ever shape you choose to go with, wedge or straight. I like to make mine straight and slim so they crisp up nicely. I also like to cut them 1/3-1/4 inch thick so that they cook fast. Putting them in ice water is another great way to help with crisping them up. This helps to remove the starch found naturally on the sweet potato. You can leave them to soak for up to an hour but I found the same result by just letting them soak while I finished cutting both the sweet potatoes required for this recipe.
Do make sure to dry the fries thoroughly with a towel once ready to bake or else they will steam and be soft rather than crisp.
The quality of the Kimchi is also crucial. You want to make sure it is devoid of sugar and other additives so reading your labels here is very important.
Sweet Potato Kimchi fries
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Kimchi
- 1 Fried egg
- 1/2 - 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sirarcha or hot sauce of choice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- green onions
- Preheat oven to 425 F or 218 C.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut sweet potatoes into thin sticks. About 1/4 inch thick.
- Put cut potatoes into a bowl of ice water.
- Drain and dry the potatoes thoroughly with a towel.
- Put them onto the cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt and make sure to coat all the potato sticks evenly.
- Space them out so they are not touching. This will ensure that the fries turn out crispy.
- Bake for 20 minutes or till the sweet potatoes are soft when pricked with a fork and crispy on the outside.
- While the potatoes are baking, make the spicy mayo.
- In a bowl add all the spicy mayo ingredients listed above and mix till fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Once the fries are ready, plate them in a shallow dish and start layering.
- Add the kimchi first atop the fries.
- Add the fried egg, cheese, ketchup, spicy mayo and finally garnish with the green onions and cilantro.
- Enjoy while warm!
- Once plated, you may find you want two eggs atop the fries, I say go for it! This recipe is adjustable to your palate so feel free to adjust as you go! Want it spicier, add more hot sauce to the mayo. Like it more cheesy, sprinkle some more! This dish is a feel good comfort food so do what makes you happy!
Try these other popular recipes