Ever since I started my journey to health I have tried to start my day with what I call “Detox Tea”. It has been a way to get my daily dose of vitamin C, benefit from the nutrients in ginger root and heal with turmeric. This lemon ginger elixer will help strengthen your immune system, reduce inflammation and even help with regulating bowel movements!
It took place of my morning tea (It is quite filling and I found I had no space for my regular black tea after I drank this) It wasn’t easy breaking the habit but this promised to be much better for my health than caffeine first thing in the morning!
I came up with this elixer when fixing myself this tea became time consuming doing everything from scratch every morning, especially if you have to run out to work/school/ errands. What I found helped is to bulk prep the concoction in a jar and enjoy it for days! If you know me, you know I truly believe in meal prep.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE AND CONSUME THE ELIXER
A regular old airtight jar is all you really need. Next, just put all the ingredients together. This way all you have to do is to boil some water and add a tablespoon of the mixture to it, and you’re good to go! You can have it with plain water but recently I have started adding it to my green tea along with some collagen powder. I often miss having my collagen powder but adding it to my morning tea along with the elixer is working really well! I’m killing two birds with one stone and I’m loving it!
Studies show that the absorption of Curcumin, the compound found in turmeric is greatly enhanced when combined with Piperine, the compound found in black pepper. Hence the addition of black pepper to the elixer.
- 2 lemons
- 4 inch knob of ginger root
- 2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Raw honey
- 16 ounce airtight jar
- Wash and dry the lemon and ginger thoroughly.
- Cut both into thin slices.
- Add them in alternate layers to the jar.
- Add the turmeric powder and black pepper.
- Pour the honey so as to dredge the produce fully.
- Close the jar tightly and shake to mix everything fully.
- When ready to drink, simply take a tablespoon along with a slice of lemon and ginger and add it to a cup of plain water or herbal tea.
- Make sure to use organic produce as this will all be marinating and we want to avoid pesticide residue.
- You can swap out the turmeric powder for the root.
- Make sure to use local, raw honey to avoid honey that has been cut with sugar.
- Feel free to use this on its own. I often just give this to my kids much like a cough syrup.
This usually lasts a week to ten days leaving you ample time to tend to the other important things in life. Make sure you are consistent though, as with any natural remedy, to see any benefit, consistency is key!
If you’re looking for more healing recipes try:
- Bone Broth
- Healing Turmeric Milk