This vibrant, purple fella goes by many names. Aubergine, brinjal, garden egg, melongene and even guinea squash. It is commonly known as eggplant because of it’s egg-like shape.
This is by far the most misunderstood and under appreciated vegetable in my home.
I saw it at the grocery store the other day and decided that it was going to be dinner. It was Meatless Monday in my household ( a practice I have been trying to enforce of late) and although I had not had the best of reactions from the family the few times I had made it, I still brought some back home with me.Determined to get it just right.
The key, I learnt from my aunt, who’s recipe I am sharing with you today, is actually to oil and bake the eggplant for about 20 minutes. This softens it up, making it less rubbery. The texture more palatable.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 large white Onion
- ¼ cup canola or olive oil
- salt ¼ tsp or to taste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2-3 fenugreek seeds
- 1tsp garlic paste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ⅘ sprigs cilantro
- 1 green chili
- Coat the eggplant with oil and bake in 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Firstly mix salt, red chili powder, turmeric and garlic paste with a little bit of water just to make it pasty.
- Chop the onion, tomatoes, cilantro and green chile.
- Once the eggplant is done, peel and dice as well.
- Heat oil and throw in the fenugreek seeds.
- Add the curry leaves.
- Next come the onions.
- Fry till translucent.
- Add the spice water
- Stir fry for a bit and then add the tomatoes.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes are soft.
- Once the tomatoes are soft,add the chopped eggplant.
- Stir fry till the oil separates.
- Garnish with the green chili and cilantro and cover and simmer on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Eat with naan or other flat bread
- Put in the tomatoes and cover the pan. let the tomatoes soften and
This dish is my new favorite. It is best eaten with roti or flat bread.
Do try it next time you are looking for vegetarian options and then come back and share how you your thoughts!